Tuesday, August 09, 2005

How to Find an Apartment in Sydney

“Where to start?” is probably the first question you want to ask as we are completely foreign to all the different areas and suburbs. Criteria for residence is that I would like to be close to the action, not far from amenities, and preferably have a furnished apartment near the beach. That’s not too much to ask for right? Oh yeah, and I don’t want to pay the inflated prices here.

As I soon found out, this was not an easy task. The beach idea quickly died as it was not close to the Central Business District (CBD) which would make commuting a problem. My search therefore led me to an area called Potts Point. Though it is about 5 minutes from the red light district, it is a completely safe and posh area (so I’ve been told) that houses several upscale restaurants, is close to the ocean and the downtown core. Now the secret was to try and find a furnished place.

When I first started looking at places, I really didn’t know what to expect. What came to mind in several of them were, “how do people live in these places”. I was lucky enough to experience my first ghetto apartment. The price was too good to be true, in a little rougher part of town but hey, how bad could it be right?

As we enter the building, I turn to my left and see some dude urinating across the road in what seemed to be someone’s doorway (this is in broad daylight by the way). I enter the building to hear shouts and screaming from one of the apartments only to be reassured by the agent that its normally a quiet place to stay. When I finally get to the apartment, I discovered that it was furnished, HOWEVER with what appeared to be furniture that was straight out of a movie in the 80's (this is not a good thing). It was as if I entered into a crime scene and the white tape had just been taken out. Needless to say, it was a no go…

The next place I saw was a bit better. (I use “bit” very loosely here). Area seemed nicer and it was a high rise that placed me on the top floor. The good news was that there was a roof top that overlooked the city. The bad news was that the apartment probably hadn’t been renovated since it was built in the 60’s which left a nice white “shag” carpet in the whole place. It definitely gave new meaning to the word SHAG TOWERS! (see picture on left). As I am living in a county that has the worlds deadliest animals and insects I decided against taking the place due to hygiene purposes.

After looking at these places, I’m beginning to wonder if I will ever find something livable.

TO BE CONTINUED….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home